Friday, March 18, 2005

Six degrees of Elizabeth Taylor

Other than being famous for our beauty and big diamonds fond of fried chicken Elizabeth and I share another connection. We were both born in London to American parents and have dual citizenship. My father was an oil & gas attorney and was sent to London to assist with a case. My pregnant mother insisted on going with him. I decided to make a premature arrival and was born at Queen Charlotte’s Hospital.


I carry both passports. I have to use my US passport to enter and leave the US. But most times when I’m in Europe I use my UK passport so I can go through the EU lines at passport control. It’s faster.

On two occasions I have been really glad to have dual citizenship. The first time was during the Vietnam War. I could have moved to the UK to avoid the draft. But I met BC so I didn’t. The second time was last November when Dubyah got reelected. No explanation necessary.

I guess there is another reason I should be happy to have two passports. You never know when Sydney Bristow might need a sidekick. A couple of wigs, a few pair of glasses and I’m ready.

Lastly, there is always the chance I could become a Dame.