Friday, February 25, 2005

New York state of mind

I made my reservations yesterday for Azerbaijan. I didn’t feel like spending my birthday by myself this year. So I’ll be visiting S and P in Baku. I decided to spend 2 days in NY before heading on to London and then Baku.


Every time I drive by Miss Liberty on our town square I get the urge to head north.

New York is the best and oh so addictive. My mother was the one that got me hooked on NY. She was 19 when she married my father and when he was shipped overseas in 1942 Western Union moved her to NY for the duration of the war. She was a country girl from Texas in the big city and she loved it.

Her tales of Broadway shows, movie premieres, great restaurants and bars, Central Park, and incredible museums thrilled. So when I turned 19 and met BC we headed for NY like Mom. The 4 years we lived there were wonderful. After we left NY we still had to go back at least once a year for a fix.

Our last visit was in 2002 though. And this will my first time back since BC died. I’ve been out of the loop here in the sticks so I need some input. I’m too old for the gay bars but I want to see at least two shows. (Damn Sondheim for not having a new show) Any suggestions? And what about restaurants? I don’t need glitz, just good food and atmosphere. So any suggestions from you NYC boys, girls, or recent visitors will be greatly appreciated.