Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Ty and Judy Jo

Chances are if you went to the theatre in Houston in the sixties you stood a good chance of seeing me act. I did loads of local theatre during that time. The Alley Theater, Theatre Inc., Theatre Under The Stars, Arena Theatre, Theatre Suberbia, Windmill Dinner Theatre, and Main Street Theatre were my stomping grounds growing up. There was one other Houston child that did every bit as much acting and she was a neighbor, Judy Jo Williams. We were in several shows together over the years. Our mothers carpooled us to rehearsals, shows, school, voice and dance classes.

Let me back track a bit. My Mom met the movie star, Tyrone Power in NYC during WWII and said he was the most beautiful man she ever met. When I was born she wanted to name me Ty but my father overruled her. She got around that by branding me with Ty as a nickname and it stuck. For many years no one ever called me Ray, I was known as Ty. Patrick Swayze was known as Buddy Swayze growing up I might add. Southern families love nicknames. Anyway Judy Jo (JJ) was named for Judy Garland, her Mom's favorite actress. So Ty and Judy Jo grew up backstage doing homework, rehearsing, and performing together.

Consequently JJ and I became great friends. In my teens I developed a huge crush on her - which was not returned I must confess. She was one year older and naturally liked older guys. Our last show together was Sound of Music where she played Liesl to my Rolfe. During the last nights of the run whenever I kissed her I would slip her the tongue. Professional that she was she never reacted onstage but the minute we got off she would pinch the crap out of me and hiss "Stop it, Ty! You're too young for me!"

Her senior year in high school JJ got cast in a Broadway show and left Houston for New York accompanied by her mother, the stage mother from hell. For the next year I got her letters sporadically detailing her show, new life, new romance and then she abruptly fell off the radar. When BC and I moved to NY I tried to find her with no success. What I didn't know at the time was she had changed her professional name to Jennifer Williams, packed up and shipped her mom back to Houston, and she had gotten married. Later on I would get these details in bits and pieces form various friends.

Yesterday I reported to Ren-Mar Studios for rehearsals. The studio has been around since 1915 when it started out as Metro Pictures Back Lot 3 then later Desilu Cahuenga Studios where the I Love Lucy series was shot.. Me and Lucy, who'd a thunk it! I was introduced to some of the other cast, given a new script, and then the read through began. The script is pretty funny and I had a ball. Lunch was served and rehearsal broke up about 4. As I headed to my car, lost in my own thoughts about the day's experiences, I heard a voice call out.
"Ty? ... Ty, is that really you?"
I turned around to find Judy Jo standing there. Little Judy Jo Williams. It's an understatement to say I was shocked. Shocked at running into her. Shocked at recognizing her. Shocked at her recognizing me. She's filming a tv pilot on sound stage 3. Turns out after five years in NY she moved to LA. The first husband is gone, she's married to Charlie Dell now. They are coming by for dinner Friday. It was great to find her again.

As we parted she stood on tip toe to kiss me when I pulled back in mock horror saying, "Stop it, Judy Jo! You're too old for me!", which led to another hour of reminicing. So Ty and Judy from Houston, TX made it to Hollywood and like our namesakes are in a movie. Somewhere in heaven my mother and Mrs. Williams are loving this.