Monday, June 06, 2005

photo

I got the call early Memorial Day morning. It wasn’t like the other call. This time it brought no shock or that awful roaring noise that drowned out the caller. It was a call I knew I would receive soon. I found myself staring out the same window as before. I listened and assured her I would come. I hung up and went upstairs to find that photo.

The caller was BC’s sister. BC’s mom had passed away. It was no surprise, of course. She was 93. She had Alzheimer’s for years. It was a blessing when BC died because she never knew. He was her last child. Her favourite.

I decided to drive to Houston and take Sam with me. He loves road trips and might not get to go on many more since he’s getting up in years. I packed, loaded up the car and set off. I enjoyed the drive. It’s been a long time since I took a long drive. I drove straight through and made it in 10 hours. The entry into Houston from I59N is still as an eyesore, billboards line the highway.

Suzanne left a spare key for me and I let myself in. Sam immediately went looking for Mr. Kitty. I brought in my bags. I took out the photo, looked at it for a while, and then I opened the garment bag and put it in my suit pocket.