Friday, July 15, 2005

catching up

What a month! Can the bad news just stop for a while? Honestly kids, I would like a breather. You may have read or heard on the news about the TN teen that was attacked by a shark while in Panama City, FL. The attack occurred a couple of weeks ago. Poor guy had to have his leg amputated. Anyway, he is a local boy and I know his parents. I have been amazed by the outpouring of support from this area. Friends of the family and even the boy’s schoolmates made short roundtrips to FL, knowing they couldn’t see him, just to boost his morale. He’s back in TN now. Many fund raisers have been held, I helped organize one with some local businessmen, but the ones that inspire the most are the ones by the high school kids. The girls’ high school softball team had a car wash all weekend and raised over 2500 dollars. The community spirit has been overwhelming and has made me very proud to be a member.

Then more bad news, the London bombings on the 7th happened. I spent an entire day trying to get calls through to London to check on friends. The embassy in Washington was swamped with calls and the consulate in Nashville had little information. Thanks to a London blogger buddy I was able to get messages through until I could reach everyone. (Thanks Ewan, you’re aces and I owe you dinner at The Ivy when I return.) The worst news of all is that I lost another good friend to these fanatics. The guy that rents my house in London was severely injured in the Kings Cross blast and later died. Goddamn it! I lost a friend on American flight 11 when it crashed in the WTC 9/11 and now Danny. This has to stop.

I’m going to London next week and see what I can do for Jane. GB is going on vacation with his family so the timing is good. He’ll join me after. It will be his first trip so I get to do my tour guide routine and can introduce him to spotted dick . When he returns to Duke I may stay for a while. I’ve been feeling very British lately. Hopefully life will settle down and I can devote more time to blogging. Blogdom is another awesome community. Thanks also to Ms Bees Knees . “I heart you, girl. You rawk! Care for some spotted dick ?” Do yourself a favour. Go read her blog. You will thank me. Now I have to go prepare GB’s lunch. That boy is going to eat me out of house and home.