Monday, July 10, 2006

Durdle Door-ed

Saturday gay Scott and I decided to drive down to Dorset to the beach to catch some rays and swim. The 4 hour drive reminded me of drives to the beach as a kid. The closer you got the more excited you became. We went to Durdle Door first and I was properly gob smacked. I had no idea the Dorset coast was so dramatic with cliffs dropping off into the sea. By the time we got to the beach we were pumped and raced into the water. I should have noticed that despite the crowd on the beach the water was mostly empty of swimmers.

The water was freezing. Instant raisin balls, I tell ya. There were a few crazy Russians in the water but most sane people were on the beach. We swam a few strokes and then headed to shore to get some sun. I knew Dark had been working on his tan in NZ and I didn't want him coming home to a ghost. All in all a pleasant day ... except for the 4 hour drive back to London. The drive reminded me of the drives home from the beach as a kid too - hot from too much sun and sand in places it has no business being.

Dark got home yesterday and we went to Winfield House for the July 4th dinner and fireworks. Poor jet lagged guy kept nodding off so I took him home for some private fireworks. It's good to have him home.