Monday, July 03, 2006

All gayed out

This weekend was busy. Against my better judgement I went with my friend Scott (gay Scott, not Paula's Scott) to watch a bit of the EuroPride parade Saturday. After about 15 minutes of being jostled and pushed by the crowd on Oxford street I had enough. Besides it was hot and I was sweating in my neck brace. I'm not fond of London when it's really hot. Growing up in Houston I learned that man should never live without air conditioning. I don't care if it's Antartica. Most of the flats and houses here have no a/c and the puplic buildings that do usually have shit a/c systems. But not chez moi. BC suffered from allergies and couldn't live without it. The first year we owned Cranley Place we had a/c installed. Five years ago I had a new system put in and this weekend my house was a favorite stop for friends trying to beat the heat.

Thankfully Scott has a car and he drove me around this weekend. I may have to adopt that boy. He's the sweetest guy. Right now I need to find him a partner. He's 32 and single after an 8 year relationship. He's also 6'2", blond, muscled, green eyed, and Australian. All applicants will be carefully screened because this guy deserves the best. Anyway, we hit several shops to pick up all the things I need for my July 4th BBQ tomorrow. Friday my new Beefeater S3000s gas grill was delivered and for a cash bribe the delivery guys lugged it down the steps into the garden and set it up for me. Scott and I have trimmed and seasoned the briskets and ribs I ordered so early in the morning the cooking begins. It's open house for any American with no place to go or anyone really. Bring your appetite. Tomorrow - the beer is strictly Budweiser and it will be iced. Dark will be stuck eating sushi in Tokyo. But we have tickets to the Independence Day dinner and fireworks next Sunday at Winfield House put on by London's American Society so he won't miss everything. Tomorrow I get to be truly schizophrenic. My American half gets to celebrate independence from the Brits and my British half gets to turn up my nose at our former colonists.

Last night Jane, Scott, and I went to "EuroPride 2006: The Show" at Royal Albert Hall. It lasted four hours so I am all gayed out. The parade, Ian McKellen in drag, Graham Norton, Mamma Mia, and Elton John all in one weekend is more than enough.

Tomorrow will be bittersweet. July the 4th was Paula's birthday. For the first time in 38 years I don't get to call her or be with her. That sucks.