Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Brokeneck Mountain

The bf and I went rock climbing last weekend. big mistake I have been rock climbing before and really enjoyed it. This was the first time for the bf. While demonstrating what not to do I managed to fall about 10 feet and hurt my neck. By Monday it was hurting bad enough to send me to the doctor for x-rays.

The doctor called back the same day with the x-ray results. It seems I have a minor compression fracture or in other words a broken neck. Luckily I didn’t do more damage by not immobilizing the neck and seeking medical attention immediately. I was referred to an orthopaedist who did an MRI and then put me in a cervical brace. I’ll be in a neck brace for the next six weeks.

Six weeks? Six weeks in a neck brace? The worst thing about it is the thing matches nothing in my wardrobe. I need to slipcover the thing or something. I should check around; maybe Armani or Dolce & Gabbana make one with a little more style. Or maybe I should opt for a leather one with studs.

The really bad news is that the x-rays also showed I have arthritis in the neck and possible thinning of the cervical vertebrae. I go for a bone mass density test on the 24th to determine if I have early osteoporosis. Crap! I am becoming my parents. These conditions bother me more than a broken neck. A cervical fracture heals but arthritis and osteoporosis are chronic.
Pity party? Table for one? Jeez I feel old today. I’m going back to bed.