Thursday, January 26, 2006

Random Messages from 30,000 feet

Dark had to go to NY last Monday for a meeting before flying on to Tokyo. He flew on Japan Airlines the 2nd leg. JAL just started in-flight online internet service from NY to Tokyo and he called me just before leaving NY to asked me to log on MSN Messenger. After take-off he logged on MSN and we started a marathon 10 hour conversation that got more wierd and disjointed the longer we talked.

D: Hey babe, this is cool! Now I don’t have to read the airline gift catalog over and over.
R: Yea, but you still have to buy me a present. Just make sure it isn't a bank shaped like an airplane from the catalogue.
D: Crap. I wonder if I can get my money back.
*
*
D: Erm, I like to look at your pic while we chat but can you find one with your shirt on? Something more conservative?
R: What? You don’t like my chest? That’s NOT what you said the other night mister
D: No no no … I love your chest. But the Japanese grandma sitting next to me is frowning.
R: OK, ... I’ll find another pic. But first I want you to lean over and whisper in her ear.
D: Uh oh, … what do you want me to say?
R: Dunno, maybe … Hiroshima, Nagasake, Hari Kari, Remember Pearl Harbor … something like that …
D: I just laughed out loud, you asshat. Now I’m being stared at by 150 Japanese … and Grandma is clutching her chopsticks like a weapon.
*
*
R: I’m getting tired. Don’t you want to sleep or watch a movie?
D: No! Do you know how boring the in-flight movie selection is?
R: Speaking of movies, why did you say Brokeback Mountain could have been better?
D: It was good. It just could have been better.
R: ???
D: Look … if the explosions had been bigger and if it had a really good car chase then it could have been perfect.
R: Who are you?