Sunday, July 30, 2006

Sam - Jan. 1991 - July 2006

Yesterday morning I was forced to put Sam to sleep. This past week has been a bitch. It started with Sam unable to climb the stairs at night to sleep in our bedroom. This saint I'm partnered with carried him up and down 2 flights of stairs to and from our bedroom everyday all without my asking. Next Sam stopped eating so we took him to the vet. Countless tests, x-rays, and ultrasounds later the diagnosis was cancer of the spleen. I was given the option of surgery with no guarantee of success or putting him down. At his advanced age (15) it seemed best to let him go. So yesterday morning I held him as they put him to sleep. It was all very peaceful. He just closed his eyes and stopped breathing. He is being cremated and I will decide where to scatter his ashes later.

Rest well my friend.