Tuesday, October 18, 2005

making way for the new

We flew to TN Friday to begin packing up the house. Dark decided to come and help despite his film schedule. I love this man. I took him on a tour of the house from attic to basement wine cellar. He may have had second thoughts about a relationship with me after the tour. Even I was staggered by the amount of crap beloved possessions I have accumulated over the years.

For instance, in the attic there are boxes and boxes of various styles/themes/ages of Christmas ornaments. You want a tree with hand made traditional ornaments? I have them. How about ornate beaded or sequined ones? I have enough to satisfy any drag queen person that likes fancy ones. Then there are the Russian, Ukrainian, Javanese, German, Indian, or vintage Scandinavian ones. I’m not talking about a few of each. I’m talking about enough of each kind to decorate a large tree. I have stock piled useless stuff collectibles like this for ages and lugged it all over the world. One of the reasons BC and I built this house was to house all the junk treasures we collected through the years. Hanging on a wall in the attic is a stuffed moose head. Why did I think I had to have that? And worse, why do I still have it? Looking around the attic I decided then and there to get rid of nearly everything. Besides Dark’s favorite holiday is Halloween. He told me on the flight that he wants a Halloween theme Christmas tree this year. You might know that is the one type of decoration you won’t find in this attic.