Thursday, September 22, 2005

California dreaming

All the leaves are brown - All the leaves are brown
And the sky is gray - And the sky is gray
I've been for a walk - I've been for a walk
On a winter's day - On a winter's day
I'd be safe and warm - I'd be safe and warm
If I was in L.A. - If I was in L.A.
California dreaming - California dreaming
On such a winter's day

It isn’t really winter or a winter day but I have been California dreaming. Actually today is the first official day of autumn here in London. This is my favorite season. Wet, damp, misty and grey is the usual perception of an English autumn. And to a large degree that is true but I love when the foliage turning deep hues of red, orange and yellow in London’s beautiful parks. The colors are rivals of any of the amazing flower displays seen during the summer. Normally I would take Sam out for his walk and enjoy just being in London this special time of year. Instead I made reservations to fly to LA. Autumn will be spent in the land of perpetual sunshine and balmy weather.

Dark flew back to LA on Saturday. The final work on the film has to be completed there. We have been discussing our living situation ad nauseum almost from the beginning. He has to live in LA to work. He has the freedom to travel a lot but his base has to be there. I knew from the beginning that he would be leaving soon. What I didn’t know was how much I would miss him when he did. I moped around the house after he left. Jane and I spent the day together Sunday and wound up getting royally pissed. Jane came upstairs for breakfast and we started on mimosas. After two emptying 2 bottles of champagne without eating a bite we decided to go to the Belvedere restaurant in Holland Park for brunch. We changed into good clothes and set forth for the day. After a terrific brunch of Eggs Benedict and 2 bottles of Bollinger we decided to walk back to the house instead of taking a cab. Our reasoning was simple; we would try and hit as many pubs as possible on our way home. By the time we wound up at our local, the Zetland Arms, I had lost my tie and most of my senses obligating Jane to be the designated adult. And a masterful job she did too. I woke up in my own bed with bottled water and aspirin on the night stand and I can’t tell you how I got there. The last thing I remembered was calling Dark from the pub and telling him that I had decided to marry Jane since he lived in LA. Jane being the clever girl that she is turned me down while Dark told me to catch the next plane to LA. So, when I woke up I called him back and we both decided that we need to be together. I don’t care how much I love London in autumn. The simple fact is I love him more.

Saturday Sam and I are flying to LA. I’ll trade my sweaters and scarves for shorts and track suits; my fish and chips or Shepard’s pie for sushi or avocado and sprouts; and my needy heart for life with the man that stole it. I think this may be one of the best autumns of my life. I’ll let you know.